Friday, February 8, 2008

The Blue-Green Message


My favorite Blue Man Group skit is "internet cafe". It's a commentary on today's cyber connected society who stays in touch electronically with people all over the world while failing to acknowledge the human being occupying the seat right next to them. I've taken this philosphy into account when I travel - or even go out in public for that matter. Ever notice the competitive nature in which people board airplanes? I fly a lot (almost every week), and I've taken to people watching and social observation. Observe yourself next time you travel - what do you see? It's amazing how much better the trip can be when you travel compassionately and not competitively. I caught myself a couple of weeks ago:

I travel so much that I even know which 3 or 4 seats I can comfortably occupy on any given aircraft. In a way, I've become a bit of a seat snob - I insist on having a seat where my legs are not bruised by the seat in front of me...I like to have my elbows clear of other peoples' rib cage as well. (Apparently, when airline seats were designed, they chose not to use my frame as the design point.) On a recent flight from Houston to Kansas City I was booked on a Continental Airlines regional jet. Now, on a Continental (or Express Air) regional jet, there are exactly two seats that can reasonably accommodate me - 1A and 12A. My alternate choices are 3B and 12B, with hopes that 3C or 12C are not occupied by a large individual. On this particular flight, I had to fall back to my alternative - 12B. Sitting in the departure gate of the airport, I noticed another man, about my size, preparing to board. I chuckled to myself thinking - "just my luck, he'll be in 12C". As he walked by, I noticed the boarding pass protruding from his shirt pocket - you guessed it - 12C. I immediately was overcome with a burst of negative energy, anticipating a cramped ride with little room to even hold a book open.

That's when I caught myself and decided to take contol of the situation and steer it in a different direction. As we boarded the plane, I settled in and assisted my seat-mate in stowing his bags, with a warm smile and friendly gesture. Rather than comment on the small size of the seats, I focused on the generous amount of leg room we had in the exit row. We struck up a conversation about the books we were reading, consultatative selling and public speaking. It was one of the more pleasant flights I have had in a while. Just to think - it all could have been different, if I chose to maintain the status quo and remain disconnected with the human being sitting next to me....fly compassionately - not competitively.
I really like Blue Man Group, by the way.







No comments: