Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Boarding School




I have officially graduated from "boarding school". That's the marketing pitch that Southwest Airlines is using for their new and improved boarding process. If you haven't flown Southwest lately, you can see what it's all about by clicking on their "boarding school" page. This can be a good thing or a bad thing or not a thing at all, depending on your point of view. For someone like me, who at 75 inches long can only comfortably fit in one of 6 seats on the plane, it means that I get to reserve my place in line when I check in the day before the flight. Of course, if I fail to check in 24 hours before the flight, or I get stuck behind the folks with connecting flights who got a head start, I have no recourse to make sure I get one of the few seats that is made for someone my size. Not to fear - for an extra $20 above the full fare, I can now buy a "business select" ticket - which guarantees front of line privileges and includes a coupon for a free drink. (too bad I don't drink) Bottom line: I'll probably fly Southwest a little less than before...I actually didn't mind getting to the airport a little early and securing my spot in the front of the line, I met a lot of really fun people along the way....
Of course, I will certainly miss the Southwest flight attendants. What a genuinely fun, unruly and irreverent bunch! Today's crew included Reba and Cosmin based in Birmingham. They tried their best to put on a serious face for the camera, but serious, deadpan flight attendants and Southwest Airlines uniforms just don't seem to go together.



No comments: